Not Inktober

Friday, October 14, 2016

WONDER WOMAN. 2016. Ink & watercolor on paper, 9 × 12″.

Here are a couple ink and wash commissions from NYCC. (Technically, they were finished in advance of the con — I can't seem to get any drawing done at shows anymore.) Although just ink was requested, I usually can't help but put some kind of tone down, either to give a sense of light or just differentiate between textures.

Another note about these posts: I usually "bleach" the white of the paper in Photoshop so my commissions gallery is nice and pristine. The Wonder Woman commission above, however, is a raw scan so you can see the texture of the paper. I typically use hot press watercolor blocks for my painted pieces, but both of these were done on cold press, which is much rougher.


SCARLET WITCH. 2016. Ink & watercolor on paper, 9 × 12″.


3 comments :

  1. Wow, your site is such an awesome resource! If you don't mind me asking, what type of watercolor blocks do you prefer for commission work like this? Do you ever stretch your paper or do you just work straight onto the block?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I work right on the block. These were done on Strathmore 400 cold press, but my usual preference is for painted work is Fabriano Artistico 100% cotton hot pressed.

      Delete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.