The Winter Soldier Time Lapse

Monday, August 10, 2015

CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER. 2014.
Gouache, watercolor, and acrylic on illustration board, 16 × 24″.

I don't think I'm ever going to have time to record commentary for this video, so here's the time lapse with some nice Mozart accompaniment. The piece is painted with Holbein gouache on Strathmore Wet Media Board. The main brush I used was a Silver Brush Black Velvet Round #8 (but I also use various sizes). The first section is sepia gouache, applied as a thin wash, to lock down all the details. It's painted over a digital print that I transferred to the board by printing on acetate, then burnishing.



Even though I was essentially "tracing" the likenesses, some of them still got away from me and I had to fix them in Photoshop due to time restraints.

The graphics were painted with Acryla Gouache, and the text was done in Photoshop (with some guidance from my graphic designer wife). As you'll see in the background of the video, I was painting from tons of reference on my computer, including the inspiration for the piece, Robert McGinnis' classic Man with the Golden Gun poster.

7 comments :

  1. A masterpiece, I wish Marvel use it more to marketing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really incredible... has that old fashioned movie posters feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. amazing man! Im gonna use that acetate trick for my students!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply magnificent. The way you take something you are given and turn it into a work of art is inspiring. I aspire to one day reach your level of skill.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.