Wacky Reference Wednesdays, No. 256

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

BATMAN: BLACK & WHITE #5, PAGE 2. 2013.
Ink(ed by Joe Rivera) on bristol board, 11 × 17″.

I'm back! And my inker/father has returned home safely as well. We had the most wonderful time at La Mole, from all the fabulous fans and record-breaking lines to the infamous Lucha Libre wrestlers. There were too many awesome things to recount here, so I'll leave it to a special post. In the meantime, thank you to all our Mexican fans (and the ever-helpful staff) for making it such a memorable week.


I had only recently moved into my new apartment.

As for this week's Wacky Reference, I thought I'd show the extra step I did on some of the Batman pages. I often have to edit things digitally if I'm not happy with the result. My Dad is ever-faithful to my pencils, but my tastes can change after I approach something with fresh eyes. I can't always "see" the final composition until ink is on the page, and so I'll go back to make minor adjustments where needed.


inks with digital edits
inks by my Pops




blue-line print of pencils
pencils over digital sketch




digital layout


panel 5 pencils

13 comments :

  1. Glad that you had an enjoyable trip to Mexico. As always, I appreciate you posting slightly embarrassing selfies for the sake of showing us the artistic process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Embarrassing?! I'm the Goddamn Batman!!! (Thanks.)

      Delete
  2. I am really entertained by your new work area, man. Side-by-side cintiq and drafting table, sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's definitely more involved at this point... been meaning to do a new studio tour.

      Delete
  3. The digital rough is pretty much done, and you could just use that art! That's what I aim for at least. I often end up over doing the final art and losing the lose fun feel the layouts have. Not that you do that! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I pretty much always feel the same way. Maybe some day I'll learn to "let go." I think part of the problem for me is the goal of consistency.

      Delete
  4. I love your Batman! It has a classic feel to it but maintains a modern edge. Actually I'd say that pretty much all of your work has that quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jason! That's definitely what I'm striving for!

      Delete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.